History of Marches League Cricket
The earliest form of league cricket in Herefordshire was the Hereford Evening Amateur Cricket League formed in 1927. This was a midweek league in the 20/20 format (No its not new) played by teams from local clubs, companies and institutions on grounds within six miles of the Market Hall in Hereford City. At its peak it had over forty sides and four divisions. However there was no league cricket outside of the city for minor clubs until 1975 when the Hereford & District Cricket League was formed. This catered for Herefordshire and Mid Wales Clubs down to lowest level with the most basic of facilities.
In 1992 some of the clubs broke away from the original league to form what is now the Marches League. The reasons given were to play on improved facilities and to provide a higher standard of cricket. Only clubs who ran two sides were allowed to enter and all grounds had to have decent grass pitches, Pavilions with showers, changing and toilets. Original sponsorship came from Flint & Cook Estate Agents who continued for many years. Many of the original clubs moved on to play cricket at a higher level such as the Worcester County League or the Birmingham League. Most have been successful but some have returned having fallen on hard times but they have always been welcomed back into the Marches fold.
Eventually the Marches League relented and allowed single side clubs to enter provided they had the required facilities. This then led to the eventual coming together of both leagues under the Marches League banner. Sponsorship since 2008 has been provided by GB Liners the International Removal Experts under the stewardship of Rob Bartup who has been a stalwart supporter.
In 2015 the league provided cricket for forty five teams from thirty one clubs. This was split into three main divisions and two regionalised divisions.